36 Fun Subtraction Worksheets for Kindergarten (K-2)
Here, you will find a combination of free and paid subtraction worksheets for kindergarten through second grade.
Common Core Standards: Math Skills and Basic Operations
There are different categories under the umbrella of Math Common Core Standards. For example, the kindergarten standards include counting and cardinality, operations and algebraic thinking, number and operations in base ten, measurement and data, and geometry. While all are important for young learners to master before becoming first graders, today, we are focusing on how to help kids with the concept of subtraction skills – which fall under the Operations and Algebraic Thinking category.
Let’s first look at the basic subtraction skills for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade. Then, you can scroll to find a collection of printable subtraction worksheets to help kids practice math facts and become young mathematicians.
Kindergarten Math Standards for Subtraction (and addition)
Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
Represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings1, sounds (e.g., claps), acting out situations, verbal explanations, expressions, or equations.
Solve addition and subtraction word problems, and add and subtract within 10.,
Decompose numbers less than or equal to 10 into pairs in more than one way.
Fluently add and subtract within 5.
Grade 1 Common Core Standards for Subtraction (and addition)
Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract.
Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem.
Relate counting to addition and subtraction (e.g., by counting on 2 to add 2).
Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10.
Understand the meaning of the equal sign, and determine if equations are true or false.
Determine the unknown whole number in an addition or subtraction equation relating three whole numbers.
2nd Grade Common Core Math Standards for Subtraction
Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems.
Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.
Subtraction within 10 Task Cards and Worksheet with Number Line
Task cards are a great way to practice subtraction equations in horizontal format. These task cards come with a recording sheet that has a number line to help them get the correct answer.
If you don’t want to use the recording sheets, you can use the task cards as flash cards to practice subtraction facts. These printable worksheets and activity cards are great to use as early finisher activities, small group math lessons, or whole group scoot games.
- Ocean Themed Task Cards Subtraction within 10: TPT or Little Learning Corner Store
- Superhero Task Cards Subtraction within 10: TPT or Little Learning Corner Store
- St. Patrick’s Day Task Cards Subtraction within 10: TPT or Little Learning Corner
- Spring Task Cards Subtraction within 10: TPT or Little Learning Corner
- Back to School Subtraction within 10: TPT or Little Learning Corner
- Subtraction from 10 Boom Cards by Literacy With The Littles
Free Kindergarten Subtraction Worksheets: Subtract from 10
These printables are great extra practice for young students to practice basic subtraction problems. They can be used for subtraction practice in kindergarten, or to review and build a strong foundation of basic subtraction facts in early first grade.
- Color by Subtraction Worksheets
- Word Problems within 10 free worksheets
- Beginning Subtraction from 10 free printable game
- Subtraction from 10 or Less free worksheets from Miss Pegues’ Kinder Champions
- Reindeer Subtracting from 10 Worksheets from The Math Maniac
- Subtraction from 10 Christmas Freebie from Sherry Clements
- Turkey Subtraction from 10 from Sherry Clements
- Cut and Paste Subtraction from 10 from Olivia Walker
- Addition and Subtraction sums of 5 free worksheets from Keeping My Kinders Busy
- Subtraction Worksheets from Little Achievers
- Holiday Math Color by Code: Add and Subtract with 10
- Subtraction Circus Math Game
Subtraction within 20
- I Have Who Has Subtraction within 20
- Halloween I Have Who Has Subtraction within 20 Game
- St. Patrick’s Day Subtraction within 20 Task Cards
- Subtraction within 20 Task Cards for Fall
- Back to School Subtraction within 20 Task Cards
- Superheroes Subtraction within 20 Task Cards
- Summer Subtraction within 20 Task Cards
- Ocean Subtraction within 20 Task Cards
- Practice Pages for Subtraction
Free Subtraction Worksheets for 1st and 2nd Grade
- Dinosaur Math Subtraction No-Prep Board Game
- Math Strategies Posters for Addition and Subtraction
- Subtraction with regrouping (vertical format)
- 3 digit addition and subtraction activity
- Math Word Problems Subtraction within 20
- I can add and subtract within 20
Math Talks for Kindergarten, First, and Second Grade
Without a shadow of a doubt, I absolutely believe daily math talks are the best way to go beyond your basic subtraction worksheet and give your kids the best foundation to strong math skills.
Daily math talks combine open ended questions, word problems, and visuals to encourage young children to think independently.
Currently, the kindergarten and first grade collection are completed. Here at Little Learning Corner, we are busy working on the second grade math talks, and will have them posted shortly. If you’d like notification of when they are released, please join the Little Learning Corner newsletter, HERE.
Before you go, here are a few blog posts you will enjoy:
35 Best Counting to 10 Worksheets and Activities
20 Number Writing Worksheets for Kindergarten
15 Amazing Benefits of Math Talks with Kids
10 First Grade Sight Words Worksheets