Table of Contents
Welcome to our alphabet series for kindergarten teachers and homeschool families. Today, we will be sharing tips and activities for teaching X words for kindergarten.
Teaching X can be a little tricky. This is simply because there are a limited amount of words that start with the /x/ sound. With that in mind, teachers often focus on words that end with x.
In this blog post, we will share activities that start and end with x, printable letter x worksheets, lists of words that start and end with x, and tips for teaching the alphabet.
Crafts and Activities that Start with X
Xylophone Craft: Make a miniature xylophone using popsicle sticks or craft foam. Attach small buttons or beads to each stick to represent the xylophone’s keys.
X Marks the Spot Treasure Map: Create a treasure map where the letter “X” marks the location of hidden treasure. Kids can draw and color the map and place a shiny sticker or small toy at the “X” to represent the treasure.
X-Ray Vision Glasses: Using cardboard or construction paper, cut out a pair of glasses frames. Attach a strip of paper in the shape of an “X” between the lenses. Decorate the glasses with markers or stickers and let kids wear them as “X-ray vision” glasses.
X-Ray Hand Craft: Trace a child’s hand onto a piece of paper or cardboard. Cut out the hand shape and then cut out a smaller hand shape within it to create an “X-ray” effect.
Printable Alphabet Worksheets and Activities
Here is a collection of alphabet activities, and printable letter x worksheets, you can do when teaching letters and sounds.
Check out the complete alphabet activity pack HERE, including pocket chart cards, sorts, and write the room activities.
To introduce letter x words to kindergarten children, I recommend integrating word and picture cards into their daily life routines.
The alphabet word cards come with lowercase x and uppercase X cards, along with picture cards and words cards that have easy words that start with /X/ – both have a corresponding picture to help build the child’s vocabulary.
X Words for Kindergarten
This list has simple words that start with x and words that end with x.
Words that Start with X
Words That End with X
Tips for Teaching the Alphabet and Letter X
Here, you will find tips for teaching the letter x to your kindergarten kids. You will find many tips are helpful for teaching all letters of the alphabet.
- Use Multi-Sensory Activities: Incorporate activities that engage different senses. For example, use tactile materials like sandpaper or playdoh to create the letter “X” for kids to touch and trace.
- Create Letter “X” Art: Engage kids in art projects related to the letter “X.” They can create “X-ray” art by gluing cotton swabs in the shape of the letter, or they can make “Xylophone” crafts using colorful paper.
- Letter Hunt: Hang the letter X cards from this Alphabet Write the Room activity, and let the kids search for words that end with X.
- Group Activities: Arrange collaborative activities where kids work together to create the letter “X” using their bodies, forming the shape on the floor or with their arms.
- Letter and Picture Sorting: Let the kids do a letter X picture sort with these Alphabet Cards. They are great in pocket charts or as a center.
- Letter X Show and Tell: Encourage children to bring objects from home that start with the letter “X” for a show-and-tell session.
Before you go, here are more posts you’ll enjoy: