Table of Contents
Whether you are teaching Summer school, homeschooling, or a stay-at-home parent, you will love this list of fun Summer activities for kids!
Not only will they keep your kids entertained, and help limit screen time, you, too, will also have fun!
Below, you will find fun activities that are local, for your backyard, challenges, baking, crafts, and even a list of free Summer resources.
Don’t forget to pin and share this post to your favorite platform for easy access all Summer long. Enjoy!
Local Summer Activities for Kids
- Visit a local pool
- Go hiking in the National Parks
- Visit a local kids museum
- Visit a botanical garden
- Go to a baseball game
- Berry Picking
- Putt Putt Golfing
- Take the whole family to a local park for a picnic and play on the playground.
- Summer programs at your local rec center.
- Summer Reading program at a local library
- Nature scavenger hunt
- Visit free museums
- Visit a zoo
- Drive-in movie or visit a new movie theater.
- Go on a hike. Even young children appreciate a nature walk in local trails.
- Visit a local fruit farm
- Play in a creek
- Go night swimming
- Go to a free concert
Backyard Summer Fun for Kids
Outdoor activities are so fun for little kids. But, the best outdoor activities are the ones you can do in your own backyard. Here is a list of fun things for you and your kids to enjoy in the yard:
- Water Tables – Water play is a good time in the warm weather.
- Water Sprinklers – If you can’t make it to the local water parks, a simple sprinkler is so much fun!
- Plant a garden
- Water balloons for the best water balloon fight ever – if your kid is into water games, of course.
- A backyard obstacle course is a great way to set up outdoor games. The entire family will have a great time.
- Giant Bubble Balls
- Splash Pad Pool
- Flashlight Tag
- Shaving Cream Slide
- Fill a kiddie pool with water beads
- Climb trees
- Have a picnic
- Balloon Tennis
- Glow in the Dark Water Bottle Ring Toss
- Sponge Ball Water Toss
- Make glow in the dark water bottles – drop a glow stick into a water bottle and set them around the yard at night. Do not drink!
- Backyard Soccer
- Play Frisbee
- Backyard baseball
- Blow Up Water Slide
- Slip and Slide
- Catch Fireflies
- Make a pin-wheel display in your back yard
- Bubble Fest in the backyard
- Outdoor Dominoes
- Camp in the back yard. Backyard camping is the perfect way to disconnect and play games with the family. Even the older kids love this.
- Water Balloon Baseball
- Outdoor Jenga
- Go on a color hunt in your backyard, or around the house.
- Create an outdoor book nook
- Fly or make your own kite
At Home Summer Activities for Kids
- Wash a Car, or wash a bike
- Learn how to yo-yo
- Have a family movie night with FREE movies on Amazon Prime
- Become Color Scientist
- Beach themed movie day
- Toy Washing Station
- Go for a bike ride
- Lemonade stand
- Family slumber party
- Play in the rain
- Spray Chalk
- Spa Day at home or a local salon
- Have a match-car race
- Make your own word search
- Sink or Float Activity Tub
- Learn to Hula Hoop
- Make friendship bracelets
- Throw an indoor beach party sleepover
- Have a bike parade with neighbor kids
- Bake and take firefighters and police officers a batch of cookies
- Have a summer themed sleepover
- Pouring Station: Set up water tables, plastic pitchers, cups, and anything that pours.
- Shadow Tracing
- Build a camping lego set
- Make a time capsule
Recipes for Kids to Make During Summer
- Make your own playdoh
- Peanut butter apple nachos
- Make homemade pizza
- Make smores – if you don’t have access to a bonfire, you can get a smores maker to take anywhere – even inside the house.
- Snow cones
- Bake Cookies
- Let the kids create their own healthy snacks restaurant.
- Make popsicles
- Make Ice Cream in a Bag. Kids love making their own ice cream in a plastic bag
Summer Challenges for Kids
Children of all ages love challenges. Turn off the video games, and let them do some popular challenges that make great summer activities:
- Head Dunking Challenge
- No Laughing Water Challenge
- Popsicle Challenge
- Outdoor Mystery Wheel Slime Challenge
- Build a Fort Challenge
- Sleepbag Sack Race Challenge
- Bean Boozled Challenge
- Oreo Cookie Challenge
- Cupcake Artwork Challenge
- Blindfold Drawing Challenge
Summer Crafts for Kids
Do you need fun craft for a summer camp? Or, maybe you need crafts for kids of all ages to do over Summer break. Get your list of summer activities together, and take a trip to the dollar store. There, you can find craft supplies, such as paper plates, tissue paper, cardboard boxes, and cheap outdoor toys.
- Paint the sky – stand outside and let the kids paint what they see in the sky.
- Paint Seashells
- Make a Bird Bath
- Make paper-plate yarn suncatchers
- Washi Tape Legos
- Driveway Graffiti – use masking tape to tape off any design you’d like, then color in with sidewalk chalk
- Squirt Gun Painting
- Shaving Cream Art
- Glow in the Dark Slime
- Make a pool noodle racetrack
- Colored ice-cube painting
- Puffy Sidewalk Paint
- Paint Flower Pots
- Fireworks Salt Painting
- Outdoor Name Art
- Stained Glass Sidewalk Chalk Art
- Grow a Rainbow
- Make tie-dye shirts
- Get a Rock Painting Kit and leave kindness rocks around town
Before you go, here are a few blog posts you will enjoy: