Table of Contents
Games for Kids | Lucky Ducks
Are you looking for games for kids that also incorporates learning standards? In this Games for Kids series, I will highlight how traditional board games are a fun approach to the common core learning standards. More than ever, in a world of digital screen overload, kids are benefiting from game-based learning. Today, my youngest daughter and her friend, both in kindergarten, will demonstrate how to play Lucky Ducks; a Pressman game about shapes and colors.
Games for Kids
- A modern version of a traditional matching game that moves while players try to find a shape or color match
- Simple format allows for independent game play
- For 2-4 players, ages 3 and up
- Reinforces shape recognition and color matching
How to Play Lucky Ducks
- Turn on the game to get the ducks swimming around the pond.
- Players take turns picking up a duck and looking at the color and shape on the bottom side of the duck
- If it matches their colored shape, they get to keep the duck. If it doesn’t match, they put it back.
- The first player with 3 ducks that match their shape wins.
Printable Worksheet for Lucky Ducks | Board Games for Kids
- Use the printable shape worksheet to extend the learning activity.
- When students pull a duck from the pond, they graph which shape they pulled.
- The first to pull 3 shapes of a kind wins the game.
- Students count how many of each shape they pulled.
- Discuss and compare graphing results with peers.
- Shape identification: reinforces square, triangle, circle, and star 2D shapes
- Color identification: kids recognize the four colors, red, orange, blue, and purple
- Memory and matching
- Taking turns and following directions in a small group activity
- One-to-one counting correspondence (worksheet)
- Graphing (worksheet)
Thumbs Up for this Electronic Color Game for Kids
The electronic color game for kids gets a thumbs up from these kindergartners. Traditional board games, and electronic board games, are fun activities for kids. If you’re looking for activities for kids indoors, such as indoor recess games, you may want to check out Twister and Fish Food.
Lucky Ducks is a simple learning game for preschool, prek, and kindergarten. In the first of the series, Games for Kids, Lucky Ducks proved to be an activity that keeps learning fun; a game of memory, shapes, and colors.